After the announcement of new funding arrangements for education by Prime Minister Turnbull, the reactions have been mixed.
AHISA has welcomed the announcement of a consultative review to provide policy advice on educational reform and also welcomed the Government’s commitment to increased investment in school education.
"We look forward to seeing the detail of the Government’s funding proposals," said AHISA CEO, Beth Blackwood. "So far, the proposals are consistent with the Minister’s comments since the 2016 federal election.
ASG CEO John Velegrinis said while it’s encouraging to see these changes, the May budget must deliver a fair and equitable budget across all sectors of education.
Velegrinis applauded the Prime Minister’s announcement, which provides more needs based funding to schools over 10 years and the appointment of David Gonski to lead another review of the education sector by the end of the year.
APPA released a statement welcoming the funding announcement committing the Commonwealth Government to a needs-based, sector blind school funding arrangement.
"While a review and discussions lie ahead, these principles have been strongly advocated by APPA since the original Review of School Funding," it said.
However NSW Teachers Federation Acting President Joan Lemaire said that the Turnbull plan will mean that some schools will take 10 years to reach the minimum resource standard and some may never reach it.
“Every year that schools are not funded to the minimum resource standard, students will be denied the opportunity to reach their potential, today,” said Lemaire.
“If the Turnbull government fully funded its part of the six-year Gonski agreements signed with several state and territory governments, all schools would reach this standard by 2019.”
The Australian Education Union said the new funding arrangements are no substitute for honouring the previous six-year Gonski agreements in full.
“If Malcolm Turnbull can afford to give companies a $50 billion tax cut, he can afford to give students the support they need to succeed at school,” said AEU Victoria Branch President Meredith Peace.
Shadow Education Minister Tanya Plibersek believes the new funding model is in fact a $22 billion cut from school funding.
"It is extraordinary that this Government is taking Mr David Gonski out and using his trusted brand to sell this inferior product," she said.
Wakakirri 2017 has been a brilliant eight-week show season with almost 250 schools shaking and grooving their hearts out to be in the running for the National Story of the Year Award. Recurring themes were homelessness, cyber bullying, the environment, technology and friendship. Read More
A school raising the career aspirations of young people and a primary teacher who is passionate about increasing women in STEM education and careers are among the finalists of this year’s Victorian Education Excellence Awards. Read More
St.George Foundation and MissingSchool have announced funding of up to $600,000 over three years to enable an Australian-first telepresence robot pilot. Telepresence robots will be paced in willing schools to demonstrate that continuous two-way connection is possible between seriously sick children and their classrooms. Read More
Submissions for the Review to Achieve Educational Excellence in Australian Schools chaired by Mr David Gonski will close on Friday 13 Oct. The report and recommendations on on how school funding should be used to improve school performance and student outcomes will be submitted by March 2018. Read More
The AEU has called on State and Territory Education Ministers to reject a four-week timeline for submissions to the Gonski 2.0 review panel. The Union said: ‘This review will shape funding negotiations with States and Territories that will directly impact thousands of children in our public schools. Read More